July 15, 2019
Professional Locksmith Key Maker in OKC
Sometimes, a car key won’t turn in the ignition and this is the time when people get confused and clueless about what to do. The best thing to do during such a situation is to keep everything simple.
Now, I’m sharing some simple solutions that can help you to solve the issue of the key that won’t turn in the ignition:
Turn the Steering Wheel
One of the most common reasons when a car key won’t turn in the ignition is that the steering wheel is locked and it will happen when the steering wheel has been moved after removing the key from the ignition cylinder. There are some things that you need to do to turn the steering wheel:
* You can turn the steering the wheel to the right and left and also note what side wheel can’t be turned to, and the direction.
* After that, pull the steering wheel in the direction that it has been in, and hold it there.
* If nothing happens then rock the steering wheel as you turn the key.
You can mix and match the above methods for turning the wheel and moving the keys. If the key is not turned then you may have a more serious issue.
Lubricate the Lock
Another cause is that the keyway of the ignition cylinder is a little jammed up and lubricating the lock can be enough to solve the issue. You can use lubricant spray as long as you’re going to be changing out the cylinder after you turn the key successfully. There are some methods that you can do to lubricate the lock:
* Gather your lubricant, key, and cloth.
* Spray the lubricant into the keyway of the ignition cylinder and wipe away the overspray and anything leaking from the keyhole.
* After that, insert the key and turn it.
* If this doesn’t work then jiggle the key.
* And if this also doesn’t work then add more lubricant and repeat it.
In case it goes minutes without working, the lubricant is not working when your car key won’t turn in the ignition.
Rap the Key
After lubrication, you need to try something more to unjam your lock. You know that bump keys don’t work on the car, but using a hammer or a vibrating mechanism, you can solve your issue. Rapping is meant to shake the internal components in the lock into proper position.
When the springs and other parts of the lock can get stuck where lubricant can fail to unstick, then you can shake things temporarily into positions, just in time to turn the key properly. You can apply anything on the key or the cylinder that creates vibration. There are a few things that you need to do:
* First, place your car key in the ignition.
* Then use your tool on the key and try to turn the key.
* If it doesn’t work then try to use your tool on the ignition cylinder.
Call a Locksmith
After trying these, if your car key still isn’t turning in the ignition then call a locksmith, because a locksmith can help with any issue where a key won’t turn in the ignition of the car cylinder.
These are some solutions that can help you to fix your problem when your car key won’t turn in the ignition. But, before you start doing these, diagnosing the reasons is the best way to fix your problem immediately. If you can’t determine the problem then contact a reliable automotive professional locksmith key maker in OKC like Triple C Locksmith as they have the knowledge and skills to determine the problem and fix it efficiently and affordably.
December 27, 2018
January 7, 2019
January 9, 2019
January 24, 2019
January 29, 2019
February 3, 2019
February 7, 2019
February 11, 2019
© 2018 triple c locksmith | All Rights Reserved.